2250 A Street SW, Cedar Rapids
Trail Access Hours:
Open hours will vary weekly
Mon, Sept. 17th
Tues, Sept. 18th
Thurs, Sept 20th 10am-2pm
Fri, Sept 21st 10am-2pm
Sun, Sept 23rd 8am-12pm
Please remember that access will be limited . This is a regulated & permitted landfill and safety is our number one priority.
Weather and trail conditions will determine access.
What You Need to Know
Access to the Mount Trashmore Trails & Overlook will vary weekly. This is due to weather, trail conditions, and maintenance of the closed landfill. The closed landfill is a regulated and permitted site. The Solid Waste Agency’s goal is to provide access with safety as a priority. This is not a public park. The trails are built on top of a closed and capped landfill. Please enjoy the view, have fun, and be safe!
Please be aware and follow the rules.
- Stay on trails! Off-trail use is prohibited.
- The Solid Waste Agency is not responsible for injury or damaged equipment. Use trails at your own risk.
- Trail use is prohibited when gates are closed. Both A Street SW entrance gate and/or trail head gate.
- Trespassers will be prosecuted.
- Limited parking onsite. Park in designated areas.
- No driving to the top of Mount Trashmore. It is a trail, not designed for vehicles.
- No smoking & no alcohol.
- There are no lights on the trails or at the overlook.
- Send event request to the Recreation Coordinator.
Watch for truck traffic! Trails are adjacent to an operational compost facility with a shared entrance and roads.
Trails & Overlook Recreation Coordinator
Zac Hornung is the Recreation Coordinator for the Mount Trashmore trails and overlook. Zac coordinates public access to the trails and overlook, manages the trail system, scenic overlook activities, and promotes the unique site throughout the community.
Zac is the contact for tours and event requests at the Mount Trashmore trails and overlook. Give him a call at 319-377-5290 ext. 123 or send him an email.
No driving to the top of Mount Trashmore (visitors with a handicap placard are allowed to drive to the top).