2250 A Street SW, Cedar Rapids
Trail Access Hours:
Weather and trail conditions will determine access.
What You Need to Know
The Trashmore trails and overlook are closed for the winter. Thanks to everyone who visited Mount Trashmore in the fall! Over the winter, we are planning and working on making your trail and overlook experience even better. Next year we will have a new gate entrance for walkers and bicyclists, a separate path leading to the trails for walkers and bicyclists, a new check-in point with restrooms, a water fountain, and a new parking lot. These improvements will not all happen at once, but we will work to make sure your trail experience is fun and safe! We will also work to have the trails open more often, weather and construction permitting.
When open, access to the Mount Trashmore Trails & Overlook will vary weekly. This is due to weather, trail conditions, and maintenance of the closed landfill. The closed landfill is a regulated and permitted site. The Solid Waste Agency’s goal is to provide access with safety as a priority. This is not a public park. The trails are built on top of a closed and capped landfill. Please enjoy the view, have fun, and be safe!
Please be aware and follow the rules.
- Stay on trails! Off-trail use is prohibited.
- The Solid Waste Agency is not responsible for injury or damaged equipment. Use trails at your own risk.
- Trail use is prohibited when gates are closed. Both A Street SW entrance gate and/or trail head gate. Trespassers will be prosecuted.
- Dogs are allowed but must be leashed.
- Limited parking onsite. Park in designated areas.
- Bring your own water; there are no water fountains or spigots available.
- Check-in at the white table near the trails entrance, not at the scale house.
- Bike helmet use is strongly recommended!
- There are stairs on the Stumptown Trail; strollers can only be used on the Overlook Trail.
- No driving to the top of Mount Trashmore. It is a trail, not designed for vehicles.
- No smoking & no alcohol.
- There are no lights on the trails or at the overlook.
- Due to time constraints, walkers will need to be on trails 30 mintues before closing time.
- 2 inch or wider tires are recommeded for Trashmore Trail.
Watch for truck traffic! Trails are adjacent to an operational compost facility with a shared entrance and roads.
Trails & Overlook Recreation Coordinator
Zac Hornung is the Recreation Coordinator for the Mount Trashmore trails and overlook. Zac coordinates public access to the trails and overlook, manages the trail system, scenic overlook activities, and promotes the unique site throughout the community.
Zac is the contact for tours and event requests at the Mount Trashmore trails and overlook. Give him a call at 319-377-5290 ext. 123 or send him an email.
No driving to the top of Mount Trashmore (visitors with a handicap placard are allowed to drive to the top).