Mount Trashmore is closed until further notice due to storm damage
Trail Access Hours:
Please remember that access will be limited to posted hours. This is a regulated & permitted landfill and safety is our number one priority.
Weather and trail conditions will determine access.
Hours will adjust in Fall due to darkness.
2250 A Street SW, Cedar Rapids
What You Need to Know
Our new recreation facility has suffered significant damaged. Mount Trashmore will be closed until further notice. We will work to getting the building restored and open as soon as we can.
The Solid Waste Agency will enforce social distancing practices. Make sure you wear a face covering when you are within 6ft of other users. Also, masks will be required when you are in the Welcome Center and all users must maintain 6ft of distance from other users.
The trails and overlook are open during set hours (see hours to the left). Visitors will have the chance to take part in the Mount Trashmore Challenge. Information about the Challenge can be found here: Mount Trashmore Challenge
Facility improvements, including a new entrance for walkers and bicyclists, public restrooms, trail upgrades, and a new welcome center are complete! These improvements allow for increased access for visitors and enhance site safety.
Please be aware and follow the rules.
- Stay on trails! Off-trail use is prohibited.
- The Solid Waste Agency is not responsible for injury or damaged equipment. Use trails at your own risk.
- Trail use is prohibited when gates are closed. Both A Street SW entrance gate and/or trail head gate. Trespassers will be prosecuted.
- Dogs are allowed but must be leashed.
- Limited parking onsite. Park in designated areas.
- All trail users (bikers & walkers) MUST CHECK-IN at kiosk in recreation building.
- Bike helmet use is strongly recommended!
- There are stairs on the Stumptown Trail; strollers can only be used on the Overlook Trail.
- No driving to the top of Mount Trashmore. It is a trail, not designed for vehicles.
- No smoking & no alcohol.
- There are no lights on the trails or at the overlook.
- Due to time constraints, walkers will need to be on trails 30 minutes before closing time.
- 2 inch or wider tires are recommended for Trashmore Trail.
Watch for truck traffic! Trails are adjacent to an operational compost facility with a shared entrance and roads.
Trails & Overlook Recreation Coordinator
Zac Hornung is the Recreation Coordinator for the Mount Trashmore trails and overlook. Zac coordinates public access to the trails and overlook, manages the trail system, scenic overlook activities, and promotes the unique site throughout the community.
Zac is the contact for tours and event requests at the Mount Trashmore trails and overlook. Interested in volunteering with the trails? Give him a call at 319-377-5290 ext. 123 or send him an email.
No driving to the top of Mount Trashmore (visitors with a handicap placard are allowed to drive to the top).