Compost & Wood Chips
Compost and wood chips are available only at 2250 A Street SW, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. This location is open 8:00am - 4:00pm Monday - Friday.
- Linn County residents may take compost for no charge during each visit
- $24.00 per ton for businesses
- Agency staff will load pickups, trailers, and larger vehicles
- Unscreened compost available to residents and businesses for no charge, no limit on quantity, while supplies last
- Free while supply lasts
- Wood chips come from Linn County trees and stumps
- Wood chips are not colored
The Agency has been making compost since its founding in 1994. Agency compost is regarded as among the best in its class. Our compost has been sampled and tested as required by the Seal of Testing Assurance program of the U.S. Composting Council. The Agency proudly displays the US Composting Council's "Seal of Testing Assurance.”
To read the latest compost technical data sheet test results click HERE.
Vegetable & Flower Gardens
Compost returns organic and biological material to the soil. The nutrients in compost are in a ready form for uptake by plant roots and can be more effective than chemical fertilizers.
Spreading compost over the entire yard improves water retention for more drought hardy grass. It also returns organic and biological material to the soil creating healthier soil. For best results, aerate the lawn before top dressing with compost.
Mulching the area around trees and shrubs improves water retention and soil health. Do not place compost up against the stem or trunk. Compost may then be covered with a layer of wood chip mulch to further improve the moisture retention benefits.
- Wood chips are available for $40.00 per ton
- Agency wood chips come from Linn County trees and stumps
- Wood chips are natural and not dyed